A ‘Sync’ is used to synchronize data between BetterCloud and your Admin Console, and keep the two in parity. Every time you make a change in BetterCloud, the change will appear instantaneously in your Admin Console. However, in order for changes made in the Admin Console to appear in BetterCloud, a sync must be conducted.
What do I Sync?
There are six types of Syncs: Directory, Drive, Calendars, Sites, Google+, and Apps. Each Sync pulls different information from:Directory Drive
- All Docs owned by users in your domain or shared with your domain
- Sharing Permissions of each doc
- With whom the Doc is shared, both internally and externally
- Violations of any sharing policies that are in place
- All primary and secondary calendars owned by users in your domain
- Sharing permissions of each calendar
- All Google Sites owned by users in your domain
- Sharing Permissions of each Site
- All Google+ posts made by users on your domain
- All third party apps installed by users on your domain that request permissions
How do I Sync?
There are two ways to conduct a sync:
- Sync Scheduler
BetterCloud can automatically sync up to once per day. Use the Sync Scheduler to choose when these syncs occur. You also have the option to receive email reports regarding the syncs at the end of each week.
- Manual Sync
You also have the option to perform a manual sync using the 'Sync Domain' button on the top right corner of the Domain Health and Insight Center. Manual syncs can help to fill in the gaps between scheduled and automated syncs; in total, a sync on your domain can run up to once every 4 hours.
- Step 1- Click the 'Sync Domain' button
- Step 2- Select what to Sync (Directory, Drive, Calendars, Sites, Google+, Apps)
- Step 3- Wait for Sync to complete
The time it takes to complete depends on the size of your domain. It could be as quick as a couple minutes or take as long as several hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How exactly does the Sync work?
Using the APIs made available by Google, BetterCloud can make calls for any new or updated data associated with your G Suite account, allowing a flow of information between both applications to keep the two in parity.
- Is there a limit to how many Syncs I can run?
You may schedule a sync up to once per day, for a total of 7x per week. You may also sync manually, as needed. There will be a mandatory four hour waiting period between each sync of any type; in total, your domain can sync up to once every four hours, for each sync type, by combining manual and scheduled syncs.
- How long does a Sync take?
This depends on the size of your domain. It can be as quick as a few minutes for smaller domains and as long as a few hours for larger domains.
- Why do I receive an invalid permissions error when trying to sync?
This typically means that the user who installed BetterCloud has either been suspended, lost Super-Admin privileges or has been removed from your organization. If this is the case, please contact BetterCloud Support.