This tool allows you to create and enforce HTML email signatures to users, groups, OUs, or everyone on your domain.
Create a New Signature
- To begin, navigate to Tools > Gmail > Signatures and select either "Get Started" or "Create a new signature policy". Both items will begin with the same steps.
Step 1: Setup Signature
- Start from scratch or choose from an existing template
- Customize signature by adding dynamic fields from right nav options
- Optional: if you started from scratch, you can choose to Save as a Template
- Click Continue
Step 2: Select People
- Choose from user, groups, OUs, or everyone on domain
Step 3: Review and Apply
- Review your settings and then select from the following options:
- Apply will apply this signature immediately, in a one-time application to your specified users' accounts.
- Schedule and Apply is the step that will turn your signature into a Signature Policy, to house your settings and allow you to schedule ongoing routine applications of this signature to your specified users' accounts.
Remove a user from a Signature Policy
To remove a scheduled signature for a user:
- Click on the pencil icon next to the policy name that the user is a part of, and continue to Step 2.
- In "Step 2 - Select People," click the red X to remove the user from the policy that he/she is in.
- Click Continue, and in Step 3, Schedule & Apply
Important: The user's email signature will not change, simply by taking these steps! You, or the user must then set a new signature. However, upon the next scheduled application of this policy, it will no longer apply to this user, and therefore not override the new signature that you set.
Edit/Delete a Signature Policy
To edit an existing signature policy, click the pencil icon next to its name, under "Actions".
To delete an existing signature policy, click the red X under "Actions".
To create and manage signature templates, navigate to Tools > Gmail > Signatures, and click on "Signature Templates" on the left side of the page.
On your Signature Templates page, you can create new templates by clicking "Create Template", edit existing templates by clicking on the pencil icon next to each name, and delete templates by clicking on the "X" next to each name.
Inserting an Image or Logo
In order to add an image, you'll need to host it online in a publicly accessible location. We recommend using either your organization's own web hosting site, or a photo hosting service.
- Upload the image to either a photo hosting service or your own site
- Find and copy the direct URL to the image
- In BetterCloud, click the 'Add Image' icon in the signature editor and paste the link in the URL field.
*Note: Using height and width functionality here will utilize HTML to force your image to display at the stated size. However, when your signature travels through various email clients as part of a message, this can sometimes strip HTML formatting away, causing your image to appear at its original size.
Therefore, we strongly recommend using image editing software, or a site like picresize.com, to resize your image to the size you would like it to appear, before adding it to your signature.
Important / Requirements
- After you have applied the signatures, each users will have to refresh their browser to see changes
- Signatures will only apply when composing a message from Gmail via a web browser. Signatures will not be applied when composing a message on any IMAP/POP desktop or mobile client, Google Inbox, or Gmail App for Android or iOS.
- If you have multiple send-as aliases in your inbox, it will apply to ALL in your inbox. If you have the scheduling feature selected, it will continue to override the signatures, even if you change them in Gmail settings.
- This signature will apply to ALL emails associated with the user's' primary email address. If a user has multiple send-as aliases or email aliases, the signature applied to the primary will apply to all.
Click here for a detailed list of all advanced functions regarding email signatures.