Alerts, on their own, are useful; but oftentimes, you'll need to go into BetterCloud to see their results. This is where Workflows come in. Workflows allow you to automate action across your SaaS applications from BetterCloud, via WHEN, IF, and THEN logic. In short, Workflows listen for WHEN an event occurs, or for when an Alert is triggered (ex. a New Google user is synced to BetterCloud to a File is shared to the public from Slack). Optionally, IF it meets specific criteria (ex. Department is Sales), THEN perform actions you define.
By the end of this video, you will be able to...
- Define Workflows as they pertain to BetterCloud
- Explain the WHEN, IF, THEN logic of Workflows
- Explain which Workflow logic fields are required, and which are not
- Add a trigger to the WHEN section of the Workflow Builder
- Add an action to the THEN section of the Workflow Builder
- Customize THEN actions to use dynamic fields pulled from metadata know to BetterCloud
- Explain the difference between Save and Publish when building a Workflow
Dynamic Fields in Actions
A key part of understanding Workflows is understanding how dynamic fields work. If there’s a gray dynamic field selector to the far right of a text entry field, this indicates that information information known to BetterCloud can be pulled into the text field. For example, when onboarding a user:
- WHEN a New Google User is Created
- IF the Department is Sales
- THEN Create Slack User
You can dynamically fill in the First Name field for the user being onboarded when creating the Slack user by clicking the gray dynamic selector button, expanding Google, and then selecting First Name from the options that display. This process will dynamically add the FIrst Name entry from Google into the First Name field for Slack because the user's first name, as entered in Google, is known to BetterCloud.
You can also dynamically add information to emails. For example, if a THEN step is to send an email to your IT team, letting them know a user's offboarding is complete, the subject can be "Offboarding for DYNAMIC EMAIL has been completed." To create this subject, type "Offboarding for," then click on the dynamic selector field to find the user's email address. If their email is stored in Google, expand Google, then select Email from the options that appear. Once the dynamic field is entered, you may complete the subject.
- Welcome to BetterCloud Workflows
- Workflow Troubleshooting
- Dynamic Fields in BetterCloud
- Using Dynamic Fields in Actions
Now that you know the basics of Workflows, let's move on to create more advanced Workflows that’ll work across your SaaS applications, limiting the manual work you'll need to do in each individual application. To view the next module, Creating Advanced Workflows, click here.