BetterCloud's Integration Center allows you to pair other third-party apps with your BetterCloud instance, supporting integration and automation across multiple platforms used by your organization in a single interface.
When adding a new integration to your BetterCloud instance, there are several general steps in BetterCloud that provide a consistent experience. However, each integration is different, occasionally requiring differing levels of access and approval, or reciprocal steps on the integration's end.
We recommend using an Okta Super Admin service account when installing this integration. This will prevent an interruption in service in the case that an installing user loses the necessary permissions to authenticate in the future.
Integrating Okta with BetterCloud will require several additional steps on the part of the installing admin. This article will guide you through a full set of instructions for the Okta integration.
Enabling BetterCloud in Okta
1. Navigate to your Okta domain, and log into your Okta instance as an admin.
2. Once logged in, click on the Security drop-down menu at the top of the Okta homepage, and select "API":
3. On the API page, select "Create Token":
4. This will open a dialogue box where you can name and create your new, custom access token for your Okta integration in BetterCloud. Enter a name for this token, and click "Create":
5. You will now be presented with your new API Token, which will be necessary for configuring the Okta integration inside BetterCloud. Please be sure to copy this token only and exactly as-is, as it will not be retrievable again.
Adding the Okta integration in BetterCloud
1. With your API Token from Okta copied, open a new browser tab or window, and navigate to the Integration Center in BetterCloud and locate the Okta integration from the Discover section.
2. Click "Install" to begin your installation process:
3. Next, review the permissions that are required in BetterCloud when installing the Okta integration:
4. In the first line, enter your full Okta domain. In the "Okta API Token" line, enter the API Token value that you copied before. For the "Okta Admin Email," enter the email of the admin who created the API token for your domain. When you are finished, click "Name Integration":
5. When prompted, give your Okta integration a unique custom name and click "Finish" on the bottom right:
6. Congratulations! You reached the final step with adding your Okta integration.
Now that you’ve successfully added your Okta integration to your BetterCloud instance, you can get started right away by using the Alerts button to begin adding alerts to your domain, and set up Workflows for automation.
Clicking on the blue “Visit Alerts” button will redirect you to the Alerts Manager page. And selecting the “Visit Workflows” blue button guides you straight to the Workflows creation to get started on your very first Workflow!
You will be able to utilize all of BetterCloud's functionality with Okta. A great bonus is that once you have installed Okta, you can use your Okta credentials to log in just like would use our other IdPs like G Suite or O365. For more information, please see this article: https://support.bettercloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004003833
Removing an Okta Integration
To disconnect an Okta integration that is no longer needed in your BetterCloud instance, please see our steps for removing an integration.
Viewing and Managing Integrations
Once integrations have been added to your BetterCloud instance, they will be appear in new ways throughout our app, and will be distinguished by name. Please see our "Viewing, Managing, and Deleting Integrations" article for more information about how integrations will appear throughout BetterCloud.
Important / Requirements
- Adding integrations will require that you have the necessary admin credentials in those services to grant permissions.
- If you experience difficulties adding integrations to your BetterCloud instance, please contact Support.
- In order to login to BetterCloud using Okta, admins will need to have the BetterCloud OIDC client assigned in Okta. The user who installed the integration will have the client automatically assigned. For other users, instructions for how to configure this can be found in this article.