The Connectors section of BetterCloud allows you to pair other third-party apps with your BetterCloud instance, supporting integration and automation across multiple platforms used by your organization in a single interface.
When integrating a new connector with your BetterCloud instance, there are several general steps in BetterCloud that provide a consistent experience. However, each connector is different, occasionally requiring differing levels of access and approval, or reciprocal steps on the connector's end, before BetterCloud will be able to integrate the connector's data into our services.
We recommend using an Okta Super Admin service account when installing this connector. This will prevent an interruption in service in the case that an installing user loses the necessary permissions to authenticate in the future.
Connecting Okta to BetterCloud will require several additional steps on the part of the connecting admin. This article will guide you through a full set of instructions for the Okta Connector.
Enabling BetterCloud in Okta
1. Navigate to your Okta domain, and log into your Okta instance as an admin.
2. Once logged in, click on the Security drop-down menu at the top of the Okta homepage, and select "API":
3. On the API page, select "Create Token":
4. This will open a dialogue box where you can name and create your new, custom access token for your Okta connector in BetterCloud. Enter a name for this token, and click "Create":
5. You will now be presented with your new API Token, which will be necessary for connecting Okta inside BetterCloud. Please be sure to copy this token only and exactly as-is, as it will not be retrievable again.
Connecting Okta in BetterCloud
1. With your API Token from Okta copied, open a new browser tab or window, and navigate to the Connectors page in BetterCloud and select the select the Add A Different Connector button on the top right-side of the page:
2. Select the Okta Connector “Add” button to begin your installation process:
3. Explore the Use Cases and Admin Permissions for the Okta Connector:
4. Next, review the permissions that are required in BetterCloud when installing the Okta Connector:
5. In the first line, enter your full Okta domain. In the "Okta API Token" line, enter the API Token value that you copied before. For the "Okta Admin Email," enter the email of the admin who created the API token for your domain. When you are finished, click "Name Connector":
6. When prompted, give your Okta Connector a unique custom name and click "Finish" on the bottom right:
7. Congratulations! You reached the final step with connecting your Okta Connector.
Now that you’ve successfully added your Okta Connector to your BetterCloud instance, you get started right away with using the Alerts button to begin adding alerts to your domain, and set up Workflows for automation.
Clicking on the blue “Visit Alerts” button will redirect you to the Alerts Manager page. And selecting the “Visit Workflows” blue button guides you straight to the Workflows creation to get started on your very first Workflow!
You will be able to utilize all of BetterCloud's functionality with Okta. A great bonus is that once you have connected Okta, you can use your Okta credentials to log in just like would use our other IdPs like G Suite or O365. For more information, please see this article: https://support.bettercloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004003833
To disconnect an Okta Connector that is no longer needed in your BetterCloud instance, please contact Support.
Viewing and Managing Connectors
Once instances of a Connector have been added to your BetterCloud instance, they will be appear in new ways throughout our app, and will be distinguished by name. Please see our "Viewing and Managing Connectors" article for more information about how connectors will appear, throughout BetterCloud.