Welcome to BetterCloud! This article will guide you through the steps of registering your domain with BetterCloud for the first time and granting the access permissions necessary for using our app.
Please note: In order to register BetterCloud for your domain, the account you use must be designated as a Super Administrator for Okta.
We recommend using a service account when installing this integration. This will prevent an interruption in service in the case that an installing user loses the necessary permissions to authenticate in the future.
Step 1: Request a Demo
First, please use this form on the BetterCloud website to reach out to one of our advisors. They will be able to provide more information about the solutions that BetterCloud can customize for your domain, and work with you to schedule the best time for a trial of BetterCloud.
Step 2: Register with Okta
After scheduling a trial, your BetterCloud advisor will provide you with a private link that can be used to register your domain. Here, please read over our Master Subscription Agreement and confirm that you have done so, then select Okta as your provider.
Step 3a: Generate API Access Token
1. Navigate to your Okta domain, and log into your Okta instance as an admin.
2. Once logged in, click on the Security drop-down menu at the top of the Okta homepage, and select "API":
3. On the API page, select "Create Token":
4. This will open a dialogue box where you can name and create your new, custom access token for your Okta integration in BetterCloud. Enter a name for this token, and click "Create":
5. You will now be presented with your new API Token, which will be necessary for configuring the Okta integration inside BetterCloud. Please be sure to copy this token only and exactly as-is, as it will not be retrievable again.
Step 3b: Enter your domain's Okta information
In the first field, enter your Okta Admin email address you are using to register. In the second field, enter your Okta Domain URL, such as yourdomain.oktapreview.com (Please remove -admin from the URL if it's there) For the third field, enter your Okta API access token.
Step 4: Grant Permission to BetterCloud
You will now be directed back to a page owned by Okta, where you will be prompted to log in with your Okta credentials. After logging in, you will be asked to accept the Auth0 scopes necessary for BetterCloud to ingest, display, and take actions on your Okta instance's directory and data.
At this point, your registration is complete! You will be directed into the BetterCloud app, where Okta will now be enabled as your first integration. Completion of this registration process will also begin a new sync to bring your Okta data into BetterCloud.
From now on, you can use Okta as your IdP! Please note that additional admins will need to have the BetterCloud OIDC client installed in order to login to BetterCloud with Okta. Instructions can be found in this article.