The Data Management section of BetterCloud allows you to view the file and folder contents of your domain's connected apps, and audit details about particular items. Currently included in the Data Management section is data from Dropbox and Slack. Additional sources in this view are coming soon!
Please note: If you're looking for the Drive Audit functionality in BetterCloud for G Suite, please click here.
Explore Data Management
The Data Management section of the app can be accessed via the left side navigation bar. When you click on it, you'll be directed to the Data Management section in the center of the page.
Here you can see all existing files saved in accounts across your domain's connected apps, along with details in the following columns:
- "Name" - By default, files will be listed in descending alphabetical order by name
- "Application" - The application where the file is stored
- "Permissions" - exposure settings for the file
- "File Type" - shows the type of file, if it is a commonly recognized extension
- "Last Updated Date" - the date that the file was last modified and saved in the associated application
You can further manage, sort and filter your column results in the following ways, by clicking on each column header to see its dropdown menu:
- "Name" - Can sort in ascending or descending alphabetical order, and offers the ability to search for a particular document name by "Starts with", "Contains" or "Exact Match
- "Application" can sort in ascending or descending alphabetical order by app name, or filter for all files from a specific connected app
- "Permission" can sort in ascending or descending alphabetical order by exposure type, or filter for all files set to a specific exposure type
- "File Type" can be filtered by common file type
- "Last Updated Date" can be sorted in ascending or descending order by date, or filtered for all documents in a specific date range
In additional, all columns except for "Name" can be hidden from your view with the "Hide Column" dropdown selection, and returned to your view via the"Show Hidden Column" selection. Two additional columns, which are hidden by default, can be added to your view via the "Show Hidden Column" selection:
"File Size" - Show's the file's size in KB
"Date Created" - the date that the file was first created in the associated application (if the file was first created using a desktop application, that date will not be reflected here)
Here's an example of what the "Permission" dropdown menu will look like:
Take Action on Files
Individual data items can be selected and deselected by clicking on their dedicated boxes. Your selections will be highlighted in blue. When you select any number of data items, your selection will be reflected in a change to the section's top navigation bar: the bar will turn green, your number of selections will be represented on the left, and you'll now see a new option for "Actions" on the right.
When you have selected the data items upon which you wish to take action, clicking on the "Actions" button in this state will cause a dropdown menu of available actions to appear. Clicking the button again will cause the dropdown menu to retract.
Available actions are based on the grid you are in, and are organized by associated connector. On the left side of the dropdown menu, you can view all available actions, or filter by a specific connector. A search bar is available at the top of the dropdown, if you wish to search for a particular action.
Note: Pay close attention to the connected apps that your selected data items are associated with. If an action is chosen from a connector that your item is not associated with, the action will be skipped if taken. (For example: Executing a Slack action on a data item only associated with Dropbox will be skipped.) Remember that you can always filter your Data Management grid's visible results by common criteria, by clicking on each column header.
When you click on the name of an action, a right side flyout tab will appear. Here, you can fill in the necessary criteria for the action. When all criteria have been met, the "Take Action" button will turn green and can be clicked.
Note: The "Target of Action" will always be the targeted items that you previously selected from the grid page.
To exit out of the tab without taking action, click "Cancel", the "x" icon on the tab, or click on the directory screen below the flyout. To proceed with your action, click "Take Action".
Monitor Action Status
Once you take an action, you will be brought automatically back to your Data Management grid, and a popup message will appear stating: "Your action, [action name], is in progress. You can check the status of this action in the BetterCloud audit logs."
Clicking on the audit log link will open a new browser tab, into which the BetterCloud audit log page will load. This page can be occasionally refreshed to see the updated status and history of actions you've taken in BetterCloud.
For more information on the audit log, including adding columns to view additional information, please see here: Audit Logs in BetterCloud
View and Manage Item Details
When you click on a file's name from the Data Management grid, you'll be directed to a new right side flyout tab containing the file's information. This is broken down into two boxes:
The top box is reserved for file details such as name, location, owner, size, visibility, and associated dates.
The bottom box will list specific permissions to this file by three columns:
- "Permission" will list the name of the permission, which can be sorted in ascending or descending alphabetical order, or filtered by permission name You can also select these entities by their check boxes, and perform actions on them from the "Actions" dropdown menu in the top right corner of your BetterCloud window.
- "Type" will list the permission level, which can be sorted in ascending or descending alphabetical order, or filtered by specific level
- "Account" will list the user account with the associated permission, and can be sorted in ascending or descending alphabetical order
The "Actions" dropdown menu from the Data Management grid will be available for you to use; actions selected and executed here will only apply to the particular file or folder whose details you are viewing, unless you have selected permissions from the Permissions column; in this case, actions will apply to the permissions you have selected, rather the document contained in the flyout tab, as a whole.
To leave the tab, click on the "x" icon in the top left corner, or click on the main Data Management grid still visible below.
Important / Requirements
Data associated with other third party apps will only be available after the app has been connected to BetterCloud. For more information on connecting an app, please see here.
Updates or changes to Dropbox data made in Dropbox will be reflected in BetterCloud within approximately five minutes of the change being made.
Updates or changes to Slack data made in Slack will be reflected in BetterCloud in near real time of the change being made.
Pay close attention to the connected apps that your selected data items are associated with. If an action is chosen from a connector that your item is not associated with, the action will not execute if taken. (For example: Selecting a Slack action for a data item only associated with Dropbox will not execute if taken.)
When filling out an action's criteria, the "Target of Action" will always be the targeted item that you previously selected from the Data Management grid page.