Google is shutting down all Google+ APIs on March 7, 2019 and we will be unable to support this feature in BetterCloud. Please be aware that Google+ will be removed prior to that date. Please contact Support: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Google+ feature in BetterCloud allows an admin to monitor and filter the comments/posts made in Google+ by the users on their domain. It offers the ability to browse all Google+ posts by users, and create Google+ Policies for a domain all from one place within BetterCloud.
You can access Google+ from the Google Apps tab in BetterCloud.
- Able to filter through Google+ posts from domain users by:
- Posted Date
- Able to view Google+ posts by:
- Public posts
- Policy Violations
- All Posts
- Able to "Alert Users"
- This can be used to alert a user if they are posting unwanted content on their Google+ page
- Able to click into individual Posts for more details and comments
- Notify poster via email notification when they violate a policy
- Do not prevent users from creating Google+ posts
- Do not remove posts from Google+
- Allow filtering of content
- Allow or Disallow public posting with or without exceptions
Note: Poster refers to the user who wrote the post
Google+ posts will only appear in BetterCloud after a sync. To perform a sync:
- Click on the refresh icon on the Google+ page and select ‘Sync Domain Data’.
When you click into Google+ it will bring you to the Posts section. Here you will be able to view all of the posts from users on your domain.
- Public posts - all posts by users on your domain shared publicly
- Policy Violations - all posts in violation of a policy
- Domain posts - all posts shared with your domain
- All posts
Public, Domain, and All Posts
Each post will be listed under the tabs ‘public’, ‘domain’, and ‘all posts’, depending on how it is shared. Here you can:
- Filter by User or Date
- Export to spreadsheet
- Alert selected Users
- View the post
- View the user
- View the date posted
Alerting a User
If you find a violation, you can alert that user via email through BetterCloud.
- Select template
- You can use a blank or existing template
- ‘[poster]’ refers to the user that posted on Google+
- i.e. - the CEO of the company
- Poster Name - automatically places poster’s name in message
- Post link - automatically places post link in message
You can click into a post and view its details.
- Post details
- View post (see below)
- View number of +1’s, shares, and comments
View Full Post
When clicking ‘view post’ from the individual post you view a more detailed description of it.
- View who +1’ed the post
- View who re-shared the post
- View comments on the post
- In BetterCloud, you can build Google+ policies to determine how users can share Google+ posts and what content they can include.
- You can create a policy for:
- Org Unit
- When creating a policy, you are able to define Policy rules that determines what words are not allowed to be used in posts
- When creating a policy, you have the option to notify the poster
- Poster will receive an email and you can choose to use a violation notice template or a customizable blank template
Creating a Policy
- Go to your Google Apps Tab > Google+ > Google+ Policies
- Select, Create New
- Then, select who this policy is for: Everyone, Domain, Org Unit or User. Click Continue.
- Note: Domain will only appear if there is a subdomain, otherwise it will not show.
- In this step, you will be setting up your policy rules. There are two main parts to setting up your rules:
- Choosing to Allow or Not Allow public posting
- Choosing what your Exceptions are, if any:
- If choosing “with some exceptions”, then you will add Content Filters, which would be words you do not want appearing in Posts (up to 50 words)
- Choosing “with no exceptions” would mean that you are allowing all words to be used in Posts
- If you choose to notify the Poster, you have will choose an option of two email templates that will get sent to the User once they have violated this Policy
- On your Google+ Policies page, you also have the option to enable End-User Notifications
- End-User Sharing Alerts displays a list of posts owned by the user that are violating a Google+ policy, and the list can be found on the End-User Dashboard in BetterCloud
- Once you have created Google+ Policies, they can all be viewed in one place on the main Google+ Policies page:
-The primary admin for your domain must have a public Google+ account. If you don't know who your domain's primary admin is, please contact Support.
-Google+ must enabled for your domain in the Google Admin Console. To do so, navigate to Apps > G Suite > Google+, and ensure that this listing is set to ‘ON for everyone’ or ‘ON for some organizations’ depending on your organization structure:
Also, when first accessing Google+ tools in BetterCloud, you must grant additional OAuth permissions in our app.
After clicking Continue, press accept to give BetterCloud the new permissions.
If you get a blank page when going to accept google+ permissions in BetterCloud then navigate to the Security Page and revoke permission for BetterCloud before attempting again.