Workflows is a powerful tool that can automate a variety of different domain management tasks. Our Workflow Template articles are designed to help you get started envisioning your own tasks in Workflows, and give you examples of how workflows are currently being utilized by our customers.
If you've ever utilized the Deprovision Tool in BetterCloud for G Suite, you'll know that it provides a comprehensive offboarding process for all available aspects of a Google user account, saving management time and reducing the risk of data loss. This process can now be extended further by automating with Workflows, which provides full feature parity with the Deprovision Tool in BetterCloud for G Suite.
To mimic all steps from the Deprovision Tool, you'll need to select the following actions for your workflow:
- Hide/Show User in Directory
- Reset Password
- Set User’s Auto-Reply
- Delegate User’s Email
- Transfer Drive Files
- Transfer Sites
- Transfer Secondary Calendars
- Delete All Calendar Events
- Revoke User’s Apps
- Transfer Group Ownership
- Copy Group Memberships
- Suspend User
You'll also need to select a triggering event (WHEN) and qualifying condition (IF) that you can execute, in order to trigger the automation of these workflow actions. An event we really like is when "User's Org Unit Changes", and if "Org Unit is". This will allow you to trigger your workflow by moving your users destined for offboarding into a new org unit, which you can further automate in bulk with our Bulk Edit Users tool.
You can see a full list of G Suite events, conditions and actions here.
Here's an example of what this finished workflow build will look like:
Important / Requirements
- Some of the actions listed above require that the affected user's account exist in an active state. As workflow actions are executed in numerical order, you must place the "Suspend User" action at the end of your list of workflow actions to avoid failures.
- You can further customize this workflow template to suit your organization's needs! Get creative and explore actions offered through other connected apps.
- Please note that dynamic field entries in the Workflows Builder are coming soon. For the moment, you must manually enter a recipient user for each action that involves the transfer of data or the granting of access. This will be the same recipient for all user accounts actioned upon by this workflow.