Through BetterCloud you can connect an array of different third party SaaS applications under one roof, including multiple instances of individual connectors. This allows you to have a full picture of your domain's integrations, data and accounts, and fosters integration and automation across the multiple platforms used by your organization in a single interface.
We recommend using a service account when installing this connector. This will prevent an interruption in service in the case that an installing user loses the necessary permissions to authenticate in the future.
This article will guide you through the process of connecting Slack in BetterCloud.
BetterCloud supports multiple instances of our available connectors. For example, if your organization utilizes multiple Slack teams or Zendesk accounts for different departments, they can all be connected to BetterCloud and managed through our tools. Therefore, don't be concerned if you have already connected an instance of Slack; you can always add another, and will be able to differentiate them across BetterCloud by the names you give them.
If you have a Slack Enterprise Grid Plan, connecting both your Slack Organization and Slack Workspace are required for use of the Create User and Disable User actions.
When connecting an app, it is very important to complete these steps fully, and in the order prompted.
1. Begin by navigating to the Connectors page in BetterCloud, and select the +Add Connector button on the top right-side of the page:
2. Select the Slack Connector “Add” button to begin your installation process:
3. Explore the different Use Cases for using Slack in the BetterCloud platform, such as various options for Onboarding, Admin Permissions, and Data Loss Prevention for the Slack Connector:
4. Next, review the permissions that are required in BetterCloud when installing the Slack Connector and press the “Connect” blue button to continue:
5. You will be automatically redirected to a page owned by Slack, where you will be prompted to enter your login credentials and authorize permissions.
6. If you do not see Slack open another window, you may be blocked by a pop-up blocker. Once the pop-up blocker is disabled, you can click “Retry”.
7. After verifying BetterCloud's permissions with Slack, you will be directed back to the Slack installation process in BetterCloud. Here, you can give your Slack instance a unique custom name, and click "Finish" to finalize this Connector.
8. Congratulations! You reached the final step and finished connecting your Slack Connector.
Now that you’ve successfully added your Slack Connector to your BetterCloud instance, you get started right away with using the Alerts button to begin adding alerts to your domain, and set up Workflows for automation.
Clicking on the blue “Visit Alerts” button will redirect you to the Alerts Manager page. And selecting the “Visit Workflows” blue button guides you straight to the Workflows creation to get started on your very first Workflow!
9. When access is verified, you will be directed back to the Connectors page, where your new Box Connector will be visible:
Using Slack Enterprise Grid?
If you are using Slack Enterprise Grid and want to use the Create User and Disable User actions in BetterCloud, you will need to connect both the Slack Organization and Slack Workspace due to the way the SCIM API functions. Connecting the Organization is required to use this API on the Enterprise Grid plan, and connecting the Workspace is required to sync in your Directory data.
When using the Create User and Disable Users Slack actions, the Organization will need to be selected from the drop-down menu when choosing your Connector.
Here’s an article that explains more about the SCIM API requirements: https://api.slack.com/scim
To disconnect a Slack Connector that is no longer needed in your BetterCloud instance, please contact BetterCloud Support.
Viewing and Managing Connectors
Once instances of a Connector have been added to your BetterCloud instance, they will be appear in new ways throughout our app, and be distinguished by name. Please see our "Viewing and Managing Connectors" article for more information about how connectors will appear throughout BetterCloud.